The modern environment state in the Russian Federation is characterized by large-scale pollution of atmosphere air, soils and ground waters. Year after year, environmental pollution and degradation increasingly affect human health. Approximately one sixth of the country, in which over 60 million people live, is environmentally neglected. The problem of environmental pollution is of high priority. It is reviewed at the state level. Orders and regulatory acts are established which are targeted on improvement of environmental quality. To improve quality of environment, orders and regulatory acts are established.
JSC “Pharmaceutical Factory of Saint Petersburg” puts a priority on environmental protection. by modernizing its manufacture in accordance with worldwide quality standards and by complying with norms and requirements of the current legislation in ecology and environmental protection,
We do not use hazardous substances such, as: ammonia, phenol, benzene, freon and etc. We have established the enterprise which excludes possibility of ecological problems.
We submit for recycling such production wastes as: scrap metals, cardboard, automobile oil, glass and polyethylene. We use secondary packaging made from recycled materials.
We use materials which can substitute plastic (recyclable materials, paper, aluminum, glass) as much as possible.
As we all know, plastic, together with food waste and paperstock, contaminates our planet. PVC combustion results in poison formation – dioxin which is carcinogenic. The biggest disadvantage of plastic is its poor degradation in natural conditions.
Our scientific developments are focused on ecological and environmental care. The largest advance is the original manufacturing technology of Galenofillipt which allows to preserve maximum safety and efficacy of active substances, but completely excludes use of benzene in manufacturing process.
Below you can find some facts about benzene:
- Benzene is the most hazardous carcinogen which vapours, even in small quantities, are deleterious for blood cells. Martin Smith from University of California, Berkeley together with colleagues from Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention revealed that humans that have been exposed to benzene, even in low doses have some types abnormality of blood cells affected.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) considers benzene as a human carcinogen. The long-term exposure to benzene vapours can result in leukemia, potentially lethal haematopoietic cancer.
- Benzene affects bone marrow and can result in low red blood cell count which leads to anemia. It can also lead to excessive bleedings and suppress immune system increasing possible organism infection.
- According to experts’ opinion, the substance’s ability to cause leukemia does not have any threshold. Hereby, it is considered that effect of accumulation and developing leukemia can occur, regardless of valid concentration of the toxic agent.
- Another innovation in manufacturing process, from the ecological point of view, is in substitution of propellant Freon used in manufacture of aerosol drug Beclospir® with hydrofluoroalkane, compendial grade (HFA – 134a).
HFA -134a, in contrast to freon:
- does not contain chlorine atom,
- does not affect ozone layer,
- has low chemical reactive ability,
- devoid of toxic properties.
On January 1, 1989 the Montreal Protocol, which was developed to protect ozone layer came into effect. USSR signed the Montreal Protocol in 1987. In 1991, Russia, Ukraine and Belarus confirmed legal succession of the decision. As of December 2009, 196 states –members of UNO ratified the initial version of the Montreal Protocol. Following its requirements, JSC "Pharmaceutical Factory of Saint Petersburg" has became the first enterprise in Russia which started non-freon manufacture of aerosolized anti-asthmatic agents.
We optimize our technological processes to consume minimum amount of electrical power, heat, water and other resources. We do everything to reduce waste volume from manufacture to decrease on environment burden. We always remember that the planet on which we live and work is not so large, and we are here to leave it for our children in appropriate state for good life.